Saturday, March 5, 2011

A Cat and her Boy

I bonded with a cat seventeen years ago.
I picked her up with my chubby,
clumsy fingers, and squished that kitten to my chest.

She's a bonfire,
a swirl of brown and orange
on a background of black night.

We used to play pranks on one another,
I'd send her down the stairs in a hamper,
she'd knock a bookcase on my head,
in the middle of evening prayer.

By rights we should hate each other;
I still have scars on my chest and arms,
from those times she wouldn't let go.
She still won't sit comfortably
when someone picks her up
for fear of being forced into
the most majestic,
of aerial acrobatics.

No one but me.

Maybe it's the pepperoni I pass her,
right off of my pizza slice,
or maybe it's debt for all
the Oreo's she's stolen over the years.

She sits still in my arms.

So sometimes I'll pick her up,
if she permits it,
and stare into her eyes...
one, two , three, four, five...

We understand each other.

I understand her need to chase a mouse,
and she understands why I sit, bound,
watching a glowing screen,
such a human thing to do.

And sometimes, when we're lucky,
we reverse rolls,
and I go on the hunt,
wild and free,
full of pride,
and she stands,
transfixed by the imaginations
of a thousand different minds.


-mine

5 comments:

  1. Yo Corey, I really like this poem. The imagery you use to describe the cat really brings it to life. I like the metaphor of the cat as a bonfire spread over a background of black night. The sentences that are frequently broken up line by line help create a forward motion in the poem. I like how in the middle of the poem the short stanzas each lead up to a single sentence. It is almost as if the stanzas crouch low like a cat getting ready to pounce, and then the single appears, leading the reader onto the next target.

    Good work

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a cat owner I can appreciate the imagery of reversing roles and playing games, but even if I hadn't spent much time around cats, I would be able to picture a cat and boy together after reading your poem. I like how the reader can see pictures of a kitten pouncing on a boy and the boy chasing after the kitten.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sheeesh this seems a bit violent. I am stuck on the idea of the bookcase coming down on you...but its cute...it definitely conveys the certain sentience that people must sometimes feel that animals have when they make eye contact.
    I took the comparison the the bonfire to mean that she gives people that warm happy feeling. I also like how you said "glowing screen" instead of television.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Corey, this poem really leaps off the page. Except when it makes us sit still and read the glowing screen. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow.
    I really connected with this, because my first pet was a cat that I put through numerous trials that earned my the honor of bearing permanent scratch marks. She's 15 years old now, and this poem just reminded me so much of her. Good job cory!

    ReplyDelete